Sunday, August 1, 2010

Simplify Your Life Week

Did you know there is a whole week dedicated to simplifying your life? Indeed there is, and it starts today, August 1, and is called Simplify Your Life Week. In honor of this week, I’ll be posting daily.



My hope for you this week is that you find at least one golden nugget in my posts that will help you make your life a little more simple, a little more calm, and a little more enjoyable.


To that end, I believe that simplifying our lives begins with knowing what is important to us on an individual level. So, let’s kick off Simplify Your Life Week with examining our values. After all, if you don’t know what you truly value, it’s hard to shape a life that exemplifies your values.


You may all be groaning. I know that’s my typical response to somebody telling me it’s time to do a value exercise. But lately, I’ve come to see the, ahem, value in them. I’m not going to ask you to complete a sentence, or a worksheet, or read a book. All I ask is that you reflect. How simple is that? Actually take 10 minutes out of today for yourself, think about what is most important to you, and how you want that to show through in your life. After all, our values are really just those people, ideas and concepts that we hold dear.


Congratulations if you are living out your values! If you don’t feel you are, think about how you could. The answer to that question is your guide to changes you may want to make to simplify your life. Perhaps you know you value your family, but you’re realizing that’s not who you put first in the daily lineup. It’s easy to let work, emails, carpools, laundry, the garden and the snooze button take precedence.


If you find your values are out of sync with your daily life and need some help restoring the balance, contact Render Lifestyle Management. We will work together to determine what you can delegate to create time and space for what you hold most dear. This may involve hiring Render Lifestyle Management to carry out services for you, or a consultation to help you develop a plan for how you can reprioritize your life and tasks to live out your values more clearly.


I’m working my way through a great book, “The Simple Living Guide” by Janet Luhrs. As you think about your values, I’ll leave you with a great definition from the book. “Simple living is about living deliberately.” I just love that. Live your life with intention. Think about what you hold most dear, think about how you spend your time, and make sure there is not a disconnect.

Until next time...
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment